The overall aim of the MBA Energy and Sustainability programme is to provide you with the opportunity to engage in a Higher Education experience using a flexible and distributed learning approach that will enhance your ability to develop and lead a sustainability agenda that focuses on change in the energy sector. In particular this award will:
- Provide a comprehensive introduction to the issues of energy security and sustainability, and provides you with a good understanding at executive level of sustainable energy (renewable energy in particular) technologies and applications, policies/regulations and planning, environmental and social impact, barriers, and potential market reforms to facilitate sustainable energy development.
- Enable you to engage in a critical engagement with contemporary discourses in sustainability and the social responsibility of organisations, that will promote a personal and professional reflection on leading change in the energy sector.
- Develop relevant management and organisation knowledge, both academic and professional, in line with postgraduate standards/benchmarks.
- Develop critical reflection skills and engagement with organisation and professional theory to understand, and where appropriate, challenge existing individual and organisational perspectives and practices.
- Develop, and where appropriate, apply new knowledge to add value by enhancing organisational capability.
- Develop understanding of the organisation’s strategic focus and environment and the impact of the inter-relationship between resources, customers, clients in a changing context.
- Develop further commitment to continuous personal and professional development, independence and reflective learning.
This programme provides opportunities for students to develop and demonstrate:
Knowledge and Understanding
- The role and function of organisations and the context in which they operate, including the key drivers of change.
- The core disciplines of business and management including finance, human resource management, marketing and strategic planning at middle/senior management level.
- The range of research methods that can be applied to the study of business management and leadership.
- The application of strategic thinking to the successful management of organisations including a critical understanding of the processes of strategic problem-solving and decision-making.
- Practical and theoretical understanding in the field of management, energy and sustainability
- Leadership and critical analysis skills
- Advanced analytical skills: Applied learning acquired to the extensive use of case-study analysis
Qualities, Skills and Other Attributes
- Critical thinking and critical appraisal used for problem solving applied to complex issues in business and management.
- Interpreting and abstracting meaning from a variety of sources
- Exercising judgement and understanding in relation to various issues and practice
- Engage in information retrieval, organisation and effective dissemination, including presentation skills.
- Effective performance within a team environment and the ability to recognise and utilise individuals’ contributions in group processes; team selection, delegation, development and management.
- Demonstrate an ability to conduct independently managed research into international business issues.
- Numeracy and quantitative skills including effective use of ICT.
- Two-way communication skills, e.g. negotiation and persuasion.
- Personal effectiveness: self-awareness and self-management; time management; sensitivity to diversity in people and different situations; the ability to continue learning.
- Numeracy and quantitative skills including the use of models of business situations; qualitative research skills.